You’ve probably heard of theInstant Pot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But these simple & easy to follow recipes work with any pressure cooker! All pressure cookers work on the same, simple principle: Steam pressure.
Within the sealed pot, the steam builds up therein to a very high pressure, which helps food cook much faster than other traditional methods, such as with crock pots and or ovens!
INSTANT POT CHINESE STICKY RICE
This is a classic and delicious Cantonese rice dish that you can make anytime in your Instant Pot. It is also eaten at Chinese New Year or other special occasions.
1 cup long grain glutinous rice (sometimes called sweet rice)
1/2 cup jasmine long grain rice
3 Chinese sausages
1/4 cup dried shrimp
4-5 dried shiitake mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic
2 stalks of green oils
2 tablespoons Shao Hsing Chinese cooking wine
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 teaspoon pure sesame seed oil
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
do ahead step:
Soak the dried mushrooms in 2 cups of warm water for 2 to 4 hours, until they have softened
1. Wash the glutinous rice, cover with cold water and soak for 30 minutes, then drain, and set aside.
2. Wash and drain the regular jasmine rice and set aside.
3. Soak the dried shrimp in 1/2 cup of warm water for 15 minutes
4. chop the green onion, separating the green part from the white part.
5. chop up the Chinese sausage into small pieces.
6. chop up the garlic.
7. Small chop the re-hydrated shiitake mushrooms, and reserve the soaking water.
8. Roughly chop the dried shrimp, and reserve the soaking water.
9. Add the sauce ingredients together, mix and set aside.
10. Using the saute mode of the Instant Pot, saute the chopped green onion(white parts only) for 30 seconds, add the garlic and saute for another 20 seconds.
11. Add the chinese sausage and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for another 2 minutes.
12. Add the glutinous and jasmine rice to the Instant Pot and stir to combine everything. Then turn the saute mode off.
13. Add the sauce and mix to coat the rice.
14. Add the reserved dried mushroom and dried shrimp soaking water to the Instant Pot. The liquid should be about 2 cups. This liquid should be enough to just cover the rice. Add more water if needed.
15. put the lid on and set the Instant Pot on the “Rice”mode which will be 12 minutes on low pressure.
16. Naturally release the Instant Pot for 5 minutes before opening. Gently fluff up the rice with a spoon and add the rest of the green onions as garnish.
Enjoy the incredible umami flavour of this classic Chinese rice dish!