You’ve probably heard of theInstant Pot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But these simple & easy to follow recipes work with any pressure cooker! All pressure cookers work on the same, simple principle: Steam pressure.
Within the sealed pot, the steam builds up therein to a very high pressure, which helps food cook much faster than other traditional methods, such as with crock pots and or ovens!
Mexican Tri Tip n the Instant Pot
Tri Tip is a bottom sirloin roast that’s triangular in shape. It’s very flavorful, but it isn’t a tender cut of meat.
Cooking it in the Instant Pot resulted in a roast that was love cutting through butter👏
1 Tri tip roast trimmed of all fat and silver skin
1. Season roast with salt, pepper and oregano
2. In a heated skillet coated with 1 tablespoon oil, brown tri tip thoroughly on both sides.
3. Set aside and make the sauce
1 onion, cut into big slices
2 jalapeños, de-stemmed
4 roma tomatoes
4 tomatillos, outer skin peeled off and rinsed. Tomatillos can be sticky.
3 cloves garlic
2 red chili pods. New Mexico or Guajillo chili.
(If you don’t have chili pods you can add chili powder to taste after the sauce is blended)
1. In a dry skillet brown the tomatoes, jalapeños, tomatillos and onion.
2. Add garlic and red chili pods. Roast only until fragrant. A minute or so. Over roasting these will make your sauce taste bitter.
3. Add 3 cups of water.
4. Add a pinch of salt, oregano and cumin
5. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until everything is softened
6. Add all the ingredients plus the liquid and 1 cup water to the blender. You may need to do this in batches. Be careful to allow room for steam to vent or allow contents to cool before blending. I put a kitchen towel over the top of my blender.
7. begin the blender on very low speed
8. Pour blended sauce into the instant pot through a sieve. Stir until all the liquid goes through and only seeds and skin remain in the sieve.
put it all in the IP
1. cut roast into big chunks and add to the IP
2. Deglaze the skillet with chili sauce and add to the IP with the rest of the sauce and the roast
3. Set IP to 40 minutes. After the beep, wait 19 minutes and release steam manually
4. Remove roast from IP. chop into bite size pieces and return to the pot. Enjoy!